Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Stupidity of Today...

Another wonderful day in the information age. I have been scanning some of today's headlines and commentaries but had to stop before my head blew up and scattered parts of my brain around the office. The Egyptians are still going strong with their revolution and they are beginning to see some definite changes. The local stores have run out of food and fuel, the tourists have joined the mass exodus taking their money with them, there have been mass prison escapes, and vandalism and looting has made it's inevitable appearance. As far as I can tell the revolution is really making a difference. What will really kick things into high gear is if Mubarak says screw it and just walkouts. Who will be running things then? Maybe they can setup a Facebook page and advertise it using tweets to round up some volunteers.

Some other minor irritants:

  • Some one commented that 4 out of the 9 US supreme court justices are not familiar with Facebook and Tweeting. First I am not sure how this person came up with the 4 out 9 stat because I can't find a poll anywhere. Second, the person postulates that because of this serious shortfall in knowledge these same justices could never understand what the "People" are really complaining about in the current revolutions taking place around the world. This statement was posted in a discussion about the Egyptian revolution. I failed to see the relevance myself.
  • One of the really annoying things I can't stand is when people use the word  "Oligarchy" to describe anyone that happens not to be poor. In my book there is nothing wrong with wanting to succeed in life and being rewarded financially for it. That's why I tried to get decent grades in highschool and went to college and majored in a field that actually has some relevance outside of the classroom.
  • Ran across some more Wikileak news today. This time it was about Chavez paying off the leader of Honduras with sweet oil contracts in return for removing FARC from the official terrorist organization. I believe the Honduran president was shown the door right after this happened. Of course the Venezulan government denied the implications contained in the leaked cables and suggested it was nothing but another "false flag" cooked up by the CIA. This renforces the pattern of claiming that only the leaks that look make the US bad are true and all the others are not true. I believe Iran approached the problem the same way.
  • I am tired of seeing all of the comments littered around the internet discussions claiming that Americans are totally ignorant of the "Truth" because everyone only watches Fox News. The people spouting this nonsense seem to believe that they are somehow the only one's capable of searching the Internet or accessing a foreign news service and forming reasonable opinions on todays issues. On the subject of Fox News. In my entire life I have watched maybe 5 minutes of a Fox News show and that was when I was waiting in line at the Fed-ex office. However, With the amount of comments on the Net calling Fox News all kinds of unflatering names their ratings must be through the roof. Just look at any forum discussing US or World events and you will see numerous comments about Fox. My question is if Fox is suppose to be so bad who tuned into a Fox show lnong enough to make this determination? I bet 90% of the people complaining about Fox have never even watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment