I find that most online forums and news commentaries fit into 3 main categories: "Lofty Academics",one-sided and heavily biased "Echo Chambers", and of course the "Troll" infested free for alls. I am reluctant to respond to other peoples online comments because it would take all of my time trying to avoid the inevitable flame wars. Instead I decided to start a blog to vent my frustrations as well as document my opinions on recent events. *I welcome any comments*
Saturday, February 12, 2011
The Most Dangerous Right...
The right of "Freedom of Speech" that our constitution provides for is both one of the most necessary and one of the most dangerous "rights" in the book. The positive side is obvious in the extreme but the dangerous side is sometimes hard to define. The most recognized argument defining the limits on the freedom of speech is the ever popular example of "You cannot yell Fire in a crowded theater!" I guess this example is suppose to point out that freedom of speech does not cover inciting dangerous or potentially dangerous actions. Personally I think that using this example is a gross misrepresentation of the 1st Amendment. The speech being protected today is doing nothing but creating dangerous situations that far surpass yelling fire in a theater. The 1st Amendment is constantly used as a defense against anybody who speaks out against the content of someone else's speech. The 1st Amendment is suppose to empower the citizenry to criticise the government without any fear of repercussions. Repercussions such as preventing the citizenry to freely communicating with one another or subjecting citizens to arrest for speaking out. As an example just look at the recent Egyptian revolution. The government did their best to shutdown Internet access and quite a few people were jailed,beaten, and killed for speaking out. However no matter how necessary,beneficial, and powerful the 1st Amendment is it is also one of the main causes of the conflicts surrounding us today. The reason for this that it seems no one is ever willing to take responsibility for the actions caused by their statements. We are being constantly inundated with ridiculous propaganda, outright lies, and all types of manipulative information. It is getting so bad that I am honestly starting to wonder how long our civilization will last under this onslaught of "Free Speech". People have used the 1st Amendment to re-write history, incite violence, and purposely manipulate others. If we could only devise a way to ensure that those using the freedom of speech have an IQ above room tempature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment